MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Investigator - Leukemia in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
MD Anderson Cancer Center is a global leader in the treatment of blood cancers. The Leukemia department is one of the most successful disease-specific cancer programs in the world, as well as one of the largest. As the largest medical academic department within the Cancer Medicine division, we have 29 clinical faculty and 20 research faculty. We have approximately 450 employees in the academic department, another 120 outpatient center employees and 150 inpatient employees all of whom support the leukemia research program. Our program sees over 2,000 new patients and 50,000 outpatient encounters each year, while maintaining an inpatient census over 120 patients per day. We have a special Fast Track Clinic for leukemia outpatients, to take care of treatment needs that don't require hospitalization.
• Develops methods of optimal clinical specimen preparation with particular emphasis on molecular testing in accord with institutional and regulatory guidelines
• Writes technical reports for patent applications, IND reports and scientific publications
• Develops new and improves existing methods of laboratory research
• Determines specific goals or objectives to be attained, evaluates data and develops and revises techniques or approaches to problems in laboratory research
• Must be technically proficient in cell biology (transient and stable modification of cell lines, lentiviral transduction of primary cells and cell lines, maintaining stocks of cell lines and quality control of same).
• Must be technically proficient in molecular biology (isolation and characterization of nucleic acids from cells and tissues, design and preparation of gene expression vectors, design and validation of PCR and qPCR assays). Experience with RNA is essential.
• Must keep meticulous records of cell lines, primary samples, plasmid stocks, and material isolated from primary cells.
Lab Development and Oversight
• Must carry out general laboratory functions including reagent preparation, routine maintenance of laboratory equipment, minor repairs on small equipment, maintaining inventory and ordering supplies, disposing of laboratory goods according to regulations, maintaining cleanliness and safety in a laboratory setting.
• Must be able to work independently and in a team under minimum supervision.
• Must be able to train, supervise and support technicians and students participating in research in the laboratory.
• Must have excellent analytical, communication, organizational and presentation skills.
• Must be able to manage and troubleshoot multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be a resource for all members of the laboratory with regard to the methods of molecular and cell biology.
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Required: Five years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, three years of required experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 140998
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 46,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 57,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 69,000
Science Jobs: No