MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Assistant II - Tissue Culture in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
Maintains and establishes tissue culture cell lines which require good sterile techniques and the ability to observe and identify cell changes under the microscope, determine cell counts on the hemocytometer or coulter counter, performs colony counts or determine cell viability. Prepares sterile media and solutions.
· Prepare cells for cryogenic storage and reestablishment by the use of small vials, dry ice and liquid nitrogen.
· Experience with basic molecular and cellular biology techniques including western blotting, PCR, flow cytometry, mass cytometry, antibody conjugation, immunofluorescence staining and confocal microscopy
· Participates in proteomics research projects
· Process and stains samples for flow cytometry and mass cytometry using fluorescent and metal conjugated antibodies
· Isolates, purifies and analyzes, rna, dna and protein including hybridization, gel electrophoresis autoradiography, ECL staining, performing PCR reactions, quantitative rt-PCR assay, DNA sequencing, multiparametric flow cytometry, and assays for signal transduction.
· Performs basic analysis of mass cytometry and flow cytometry data
· Purification and conjugation of immunoglobulins using fluorescent and metal tags. Should have basic knowledge of solution and buffer preparation in which ionic concentration and pH is critical. Should have basic training in use and safety of radioisotopes.
· In vivo experiments – should be able to conduct in vivo experiments with mice following institutional guidelines. I.V., s.C., and I.P. Injection of cells and drugs, bioluminescence imaging, orbital bleeds, autopsies, tissue collection
· Maintains accurate record of experiments, protocols, frozen samples and flow and mass cytometry antibodies
· Perform Multiplex Immunohistochemistry techniques such as – Opal and Vectra (Perkin Elmer)
· Performs routine lab maintenance on regular basis
· Manually operates and maintains the lab equipment. Visually reads equipment operation manuals and procedure manual whenever necessary. Must be able to lift and carry items up to 20-25 pounds and carry or move from one area of the lab to another by using a roller cart. Must be able to comply with all institutional safety policies including universal precautions and osha standards when handling toxic, hazardous, flammable, radioactive or potentially infectious or carcinogenic materials. This may require wearing common protective garments or equipment such as gloves, eye protection, face mask, gown or lab coat, etc. Additionally some procedures may require the use of a fume hood or biological safety cabinet.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Masters's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 135388
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 34,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 43,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 51,600
Science Jobs: No