MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Assistant I - Cell Culture & Mouse Handling in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
· Maintains and establishes tissue culture cell lines which require good sterile techniques and the ability to observe and identify cell changes under the microscope, determine cell counts on the hemocytometer or coulter counter, performs colony counts or determine cell viability. Prepares sterile media and solutions.
· Culture myeloma cell lines and treat them with drugs.
· Perform genotyping of all mice in cohort (about 250 cages).
· Perform western blot.
· Monitors, and shelves tissue culture supplies to ensure efficient functioning. Prepare cells for cryogenic storage and reestablishment by the use of small vials, dry ice and liquid nitrogen.
· Assist PI and postdoc in the lab in the mouse experiments (isolation of BM cells from the bones).
· Isolates, purifies and analyzes, RNA, DNA and protein including hybridization, gel electrophoresis autoradiography, ECL staining, performing PCR reactions, quantitative RT-PCR assay, DNA sequencing and assays for signal transducing enzymes.
· Perform DNA and RNA extraction from cell lines and primary samples
Purification and conjugation of immunoglobulins. Should have basic knowledge of solution and buffer preparation in which ionic concentration and pH is critical. Should have basic training in use and safety of radioisotopes.
Laboratory Equipment and Maintenance
· Performs routine maintenance of ultra-low freezers, liquid nitrogen, C02 and water levels. Should be able to maintain equipment such as high-speed centrifuges, pH meters and microfuges.
Manually operates and maintains the lab equipment. Visually reads equipment operation manuals and procedure manual whenever necessary. Must be able to lift and carry items up to 20-25 pounds and carry or move from one area of the lab to another by using a roller cart. Must be able to comply with all institutional safety policies including Universal Precautions and OSHA standards when handling toxic, hazardous, flammable, radioactive or potentially infectious or carcinogenic materials. This may require wearing common protective garments or equipment such as gloves, eye protection, face mask, gown or lab coat, etc. Additionally some procedures may require the use of a fume hood or biological safety cabinet.
Required: Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Required: No experience.
Preferred: Cell culture and mouse handling experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 132863
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 30,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 38,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 45,600