MD Anderson Cancer Center Director, High Level Disinfection (HLD) & Sterilization in Houston, Texas
Director, High Level Disinfection (HLD) & Sterilization
MD Anderson Cancer Center is seeking a Director of HLD and Sterilization . This is a Highly Visible position that will work with leadership across multiple divisions. Direct reports will be in the Medical Center as well across the Houston Area Locations. The ideal candidate will have a progressive career in Disinfection and/or Sterilization, Quality, and Operations.
Establishes Best Practices
• Serves as the SME on High Level Disinfection (HLD) and Sterilization to include the Spaulding Classification.
• Establishes best practices and educates on current standards for scopes/instruments including facility design and environmental requirements for all HLD/Sterilization areas.
• Develops best practices to ensure compliance with Joint Commission (JC) to ensure successful audits and avoid penalties and breaches that may pose an immediate threat to life (ITL) or adverse accreditation decision.
• Works with institutional departments to determine when HLD is needed vs. sterilization.
Risk Assessment Analysis / Safety Readiness Updates
• Establishes structures and processes that focus on safety and quality.
• Responsibility for compliance with Primary Standard Governing HLD and/or Sterilization Processes for all institutional areas.
• Ensures institutional readiness with Joint Commission (JC) Standard IC.02.02.01 & EP2.
• Performs risk assessment analysis of current state for all HLD/sterilization areas.
•Include key stakeholders involved in HLD and Sterilization processes in risk assessments (Infection Control, Patient Safety & Accreditation and Facilities).
• Determines points of exposure and develops action plans where needed in collaboration with area SPD, center leaders and/or involved parties.
•Monitors status of adherence (or plan to move) to compliance and updates executive leadership.
• Accountable to executive leadership on trends/concerns/best practices.
• Reviews EHS data (humidity & temp requirements, audit finding concerns & plans for correction action).
• Meets with area SPD/center leaders to share audits, recommendations & best practices on a regular basis (similar to zip rounds).
• Supervises HLD Educators and evaluates effectiveness of HLD/Sterilization education programs.
• Performs initial and ongoing education for HLD educators.
• Provides initial institutional HLD/Sterilization training and rollout.
• Develops clearly defined, written, managerial and/or supervisory oversight that includes knowledge and training of (HLD) and/or sterilization at the leadership level
• Oversees continuous education and ongoing competency assessments for impacted HLD/Sterilization staff.
• Performs audits/zip rounds.
• Creates hiring/staffing pathway.
• Makes recommendations for HLD/Sterilization related position descriptions to include education, experience and certification requirements, as well as required competencies.
• In coordination with one-up and HR, establishes formal HLD/Sterilization career pathing (to include - various levels of Sterile Processing Technicians (i.e., Tech, Sr. Tech, Instrument Specialist, SPD lead, Educator & Manager).
• Establishment of SPD Residency Program
• Helps off-set retention issues more common to SPD vocation.
Space & Equipment Planning
• Attends space and equipment planning meetings for areas that perform HLD and Sterilization on Main campus and all HALS locations.
• Appropriate space and location to safely conduct decontamination, high-level disinfection, sterilization, and storage is provided and maintained.
• Creates an inventory of all HLD/sterilization equipment for the institution to include location and accessibility of manufacturer's instructions-for use for devices, equipment, supplies, and products
• Partners with various areas across the institution to determine required HLD/sterilization devices and equipment.
• Collaborates with key leaders to ensure HLD/Sterilization areas have the resources needed to maintain safe, quality care, treatment, and services.
• Ensures compliance with device/equipment maintenance.
Other duties as assigned
Required: Bachelor's degree in a Business Administration or healthcare discipline.
Required: Eight years managerial experience in a clinical setting to include 2 years of experience in high level disinfection and/or sterilization. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Required: One of the following: Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM). Certified Endoscope Reprocessor (CER) by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM). Certified Flexible Endoscope Reprocessor (CFER) by the Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD). Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS) by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM). Certified Healthcare Leadership (CHL) by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM). Certified Sterile Processing Distribution Technician (CSPDT) by the Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD). Certified Sterile Processing Management (CSPM) by the Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD). Certified Surgical Instrument Specialist (CSIS) by the Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD). Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 137612
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 111,600
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 139,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 167,400
Science Jobs: No