MD Anderson Cancer Center Coordinator, HIM Quality in Houston, Texas
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The primary purpose of the HIM Quality Coordinator position is to collect, analyze and report data related to the quality of health information including its adequacy, accuracy and completeness. This position impacts the improvement of clinical documentation through coordination of and participation in multidisciplinary quality improvement efforts across the institution.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Key Function #1: Performance Improvement • Conducts patient safety and documentation compliance audits on medical records on the inpatient units, outpatient centers and regional care centers
• Analyzes, interprets and investigates complex documentation compliance issues;
• Works closely with the Manager, HIM Quality and assigned customers to track, trend and analyze audit results; develop and lead performance improvement plans and projects to address issues utilizing performance improvement tools and statistical analysis;
• Monitors and reports compliance with hospital policies/ procedures and regulatory requirements relevant to clinical documentation.
• This position will work closely with external customer with the ongoing maintenance of successful PI projects.
Key Function #2: Regulatory Compliance • Keeps abreast of changes to hospital policies and regulatory requirements mandated by the Joint Commission and CMS.
• This position will use information/data gathered to create an institutional report card regarding documentation compliance issues.
• This will enable the team to develop institutional communications via the Internal Communications department, presentations and conduct training to customers globally; coordinates and lead quality improvement projects and activities with customers to streamline deficiencies; documents and reports project status and improvements.
• Actively participates on patient tracer teams; reports outcomes to the HIM Quality Manager and Medical Record Audit Team.
• Provides input and recommendations to improve the quality of clinical documentation; works with key stakeholders throughout the institution to create, analyze and distribute documentation tracer reports.
Key Function #3: Education/Training • Present to large group Training
• One to one training with assigned customers and as needed
• Create, develop and present education and training materials to external customers (i.e., physician, residents and students)
• Assist with developing Education and Communication plans via the Internal Communication Department
• Educates customers on impact of changes buy using CMS Conditions of Participation guidelines, CMS 1995 and/or 1997 documentation guidelines.
Other duties as assigned
Required: Bachelor's degree in HIM, Nursing or a health-related discipline.
Required: Three years of clinical or health care experience to include work in health care delivery systems, auditing or analysis of clinical data documentation. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 126953
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Varied, Weekends
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 59,600
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 74,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 89,400