MD Anderson Cancer Center Computational Scientist - Molecular Diagnostic in Houston, Texas
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Information System Practices
•Analyze and assist in the development of algorithms and software tools for complex laboratory applications for the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory.
•Support the computational implementation of clinical next-generation sequencing and microarray genomic technologies.
•Assist in facilitating the institutional use and re-use of clinical genomic laboratory data through the support and development of the shared pathology data repository (SPiDR) and other institutional data warehousing efforts.
•Participate and support strategic initiatives and efforts of the section to support the clinical, research, and educational needs of the section with respect to information systems and practices.
• Participates in the development and training of procedures, policies and tools to enhance knowledge on Laboratory information systems.
• Independently compiles, analyzes and reports data for various projects including, but not limited to manual and computer-aided data entering and prepared data for publication and distribution.
•Develops, maintains, and utilizes a database management system for the Molecular laboratory section.
•Assesses relevant literature as well as existing data, evaluates the quality of data used in reports and assists in committee and scientific meetings.
Quality Control and Result Review
•Must be able to comprehend relevance of printed results and correlate patient data with research and clinical findings.
•Must be able to ensure that quality control/quality assurance standards are implemented and knowledgeable of laboratory regulatory requirements.
•Must be able to relate quality control result data to specimen analysis data assuring that appropriate action is taken based on results obtained.
•Must have basic computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, email, internet, and databases. Knowledgeable of advanced software tools to support sequencing data analysis review.
• Embraces and demonstrates as a role model and leader the roles and responsibilities of the Customer Service Program.
• Manages all customer service interactions with diplomacy, actively facilitating resolutions to problems and addressing the needs of clients both internal and external.
• Promotes a positive communication effort through personal actions ensuring all encounters, verbal, written and silent (body language), with internal and external customers are professional and respectful.
•In collaboration with others and independently evaluate and assist in resolving Laboratory Information Systems operations and problems.
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field. Education preferred: Master's degree or PhD with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field. Five years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With preferred degree three years experience required. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 140720
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 78,800
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 98,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 118,200
Science Jobs: No