MD Anderson Cancer Center Clinical Data Specialist - ICT in Houston, Texas
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The primary purpose of the Clinical Data Specialist position is to review, abstract, and validate clinical information of care rendered to protocol patients. Provides administrative and patient care services for the coordination of research studies. Impacts research by collecting information for each episode of care and facilitating and tracking of research sample information.
- To assist with patient-related activities.
– Assist with tracking of clinic, CTRC, and inpatient activity and workloads of midlevel providers.
– Work with patients to coordinate appointment schedules.
– Provide the patient flowsheets for inpatient admissions to the inpatient midlevel team on a daily basis.
– Coordinate screening of patients for multiple trials and update clinic screening lists.
– Perform EKGs with sponsor-provided machines and transmit results as directed.
– Assist with oversight for research specimen collection, documentation, and storage by acting as liaison between personnel in the CTRC lab, the department core lab, and the department.
– Act as point of contact for receipt of kits containing research sample collection supplies from all sponsors.
Document receipt of supplies.
Ensure delivery to CTRC lab phlebotomy area.
Facilitate orders for research sample supplies to ensure that ample stock is on hand.
– Assist in creation and maintenance of tracking database for samples related to investigator-initiated trials.
– Answer and screen office phone calls effectively and professionally.
– Triage patient calls to the research nursing area.
– Relay immediately important patient messages to research nurses and other clinical research personnel.
– Complete requests for printing of chemotherapy orders and special laboratory slips for all protocols accurately and in a timely fashion.
– Pick up special blood or tissue specimens correctly and in a timely fashion and transport to appropriate locations, as specified by protocols.
– Prepare tissue specimens correctly, as specified by protocols.
– Assist in the preparation of scheduled status reports describing interim data, using the Patient Data Management System.
- To transfer patient information into the electronic database and case books.
– Review medical records to extract data points.
– Assist with data entry into database and casebooks.
– Make survival calls and appropriately record the data.
– Maintain accurate and up-to-date patient flowsheet, to include entry of toxicities, adverse events, follow-up visits, dose modifications, and any other protocol-required data.
- To maintain a high level of professional expertise and credibility through educational programs, including on-site training and off-site conferences.
– Attend department research meetings and conferences.
– Attend approved off-site meetings and conferences.
– Supplement education as needed through use of reference materials, lectures, etc.
– Be punctual in arriving at all professional functions.
– Inform appropriate staff and arrange coverage for necessary functions when absent.
This position requires:
Working in Office Environment
Working in Patient Care Unit (e.g. Nursing unit; outpatient clinic)
Exposure to human/animal blood, body fluids, or tissues
Exposure to harmful chemicals
Exposure to radiation
Exposure to animals
Indicate the time required to do each of the following physical demands:
Up to 10 lbs
10lbs to 50 lbs
More than 50 lbs
Up to 10 lbs
10lbs to 50 lbs
More than 50 lbs
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Required: One year of related experience in medical services.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 133914
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Evenings, Rotating, Weekends
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 38,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 48,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 57,600