MD Anderson Cancer Center Administrative Assistant - GI Medical Oncology in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The administrative position within the Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology coordinates administrative duties for assigned physicians and their clinical and laboratory staff. The individual must be able to adapt to constantly changing demands of the institution and the department. In addition to; being flexible to take on new tasks and competent at multi-tasking. Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and time management are essential qualifications to determine the success of this position. This is a fast paced position that requires an individual to possess great self-initiative and the ability to think outside of the box.
- Reception and Communications
• Represents department in a professional and appropriate manner within the institution as well as externally.
• Provides backup telephone coverage for the Department and faculty, unless informed otherwise; triage all calls to appropriate person(s); must be able to understand and clearly respond to telephone conversations with physicians and other members of the health care team, both in and outside the cancer center. Answers all telephone lines without delay; take date and time of call, along with a complete and accurate message; including name and telephone number.
• Responds as secondary assistance with the needs of patients, customers, employees, vendors, etc., who require assistance and on directions, locating meetings, etc., as requested.
• Redirects physician pagers as necessary for end of work week or travel (covering physician).
- Administrative Support
• Provides support to assigned clinical faculty, research faculty, physician assistant and/or laboratory staff.
• Assist faculty with coordinating and preparing material/set up for conference and events large in scope.
• Compose formal, informal, and confidential correspondence for the assigned faculty members.
• Schedules appointments and maintains calendar for faculty members.
• Prepares agendas for matters of consideration at meetings, as requested.
• Initiates and assists in scheduling meetings, arranging for conference rooms, and catering.
• Format manuscripts according to journal specifications using EndNote and/or Reference Manager.
• Ensures timely and accurate submission of required reports/documents for manuscripts and grants by tracking stages, alerting investigators, and initiating response processes.
• Prepares slide presentations, requiring the use of MS PowerPoint software and process appropriate paperwork to have slides manufactured.
• Arranges all travel preparations for assigned faculty and department staff as needed, scheduling airline reservations and hotel accommodations through Concur travel system.
• Ensures all travel expenditures are processed according to departmental/institutional guidelines and reimbursed in a timely manner.
• Accurately record and monitor faculty use of 30-day annual extramural leave allowance.
• Maintains the most current information for assigned faculty pertaining to curriculum vitae, periodical publications, and biographical sketches utilizing the FIS system.
• Coordinates the application and paperwork for the recredentailing process.
• Establishes priorities and deadlines for completion of projects assigned by faculty and/or Office Manager.
• Ensures timely and accurate expense and income tracking and projections for all company centers under the direction of the principal investigator faculty member.
• Assists in the financial analysis of existing programs by monitoring and reconciling monthly balances of current status of company center reports.
• Update and maintain PRS account expenses for assigned faculty and physician assistants.
• Compiles data and prepares reports as needed on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Assists with other departmental projects to be assigned by Office Manager and/or Department Administrator.
• Provides relief support to other support staff as assigned by the Office Manager
• Prepares and submits information as required for departmental reports.
- Other Duties as Assigned
• Retrieves/returns patient charts from Medical Records, as requested.
• Utilizes PubMed, or other Internet medical publication websites and/or Texas Medical Center libraries to obtain copies of articles.
• Maintains filing system with patient and office files.
• Photocopies documents. Operates all standard office machines.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree.
Required: Four years of administrative/secretarial experience. With preferred degree, no experience required.
Preferred: Experience providing support to 2-3 individuals.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Employee Status: Regular
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 45,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,000